In 1989 a group of area residents who shared both a passion and deep interest in Pinery Park formed the Friends of Pinery Park. Aware of the increasing pressure on the rare ecosystems within the park’s boundaries from recreational activities, they recognized the need to foster and develop an appreciation and understanding of the park’s fragile and unique environment to its ever increasing number of users.
The Friends of Pinery Park is a charitable organization dedicated to education, promotion, preservation and support of Pinery Provincial Park.
- To enhance the public’s awareness, understanding and appreciation of Pinery’s natural resources through education and research.
- To increase awareness of The Friends’ mandate, programs, and projects beyond the traditional park users.
- To further develop The Friends’ relationships with the surrounding communities and partners.
- To create a strong philanthropic culture.
- To maintain a healthy partnership with Ontario Parks.
- To be a strong advocate for the protection of Pinery’s ecological integrity.